A heavy duty sewing machine is one which is not lightweight and portable equipment. It helps you to sew denim and leather, create buttonholes, upholstery and facilitates you while quilting.
Best heavy duty sewing machines reviewed for 2020:
Below is the list of top heavy duty sewing machines reviewed which can carry heavy tasks for ease of the user. This list of sewing machine is created after a thorough review of some of the industry’s finest machines for August 2019
Sailrite Heavy-Duty Ultrafeed LSZ-1 BASIC Walking Foot Sewing Machine
- Zigzag/straight stitch walking foot sewing machine that effortlessly sews through heavy materials such as sailcloth, heavy canvas, denim, and upholstery fabrics. It is definitely a tried and tested machine for up to 10 layers of heavy canvas and 8 layers of Dacron.
- Serves you best with its Power Plus Balance Wheel, which has twice the power and size of a traditional flywheel.
- Balance wheel transfers 100% power to the needle through the patented Posi-Pin clutching system.
- Sailrite Heavy-Duty Ultrafeed LSZ-1 BASIC Walking Foot Sewing Machine also features an extra wide presser foot with built-in piping tunnel and a high, 3/8” foot lift. Settle the variable stitch length up to 6 mm in straight stitch and up to 5 mm in zigzag width.
- We offer you Top-notch customer service from Sailrite with a guidebook enriched with detailed instructions; Set-up, Use and Maintenance DVD, personalized support along with a 2-year limited warranty.
- Works smoothly
- Can sew multiple layers
- Well built
- Worth the money
- Not loaded with useless frills
- Easy to learn
- A little bit fussy tensioner
- Narrow throat size
Janome HD3000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine with 18 Built-In Stitches
- Contains all basic stitches along with few fancy ones
- Allow the fabric to move smoothly
- Quiet machine
- Has an easier way to change the bobbin
- Make buttonholes without using special foot
- Can sew through six layers of cotton denim
- Fails to adjust thread tension for knit
- Thread breaks a lot
You can also checkout the Janome HD3000 review.
TOYOTA Super Jeans J34 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
Manufactured By Toyota in Toyota’s industrial unit – This company is popular for producing well-built and genuine cars and has been manufacturing sewing machines since 1946 and their first machine named – The Toyota HA-1. Toyota is now eventually in stock in the United States and they try to carry on their tradition of quality and durability.
Can conveniently sew through denim, jeans and other thick fabrics! The plus Gliding Foot is available only on Toyota Super Jeans Machines and enables the user to glide over several layers of denim like a breeze. You can easily test the gliding foot by Going from 3 Layers to 6 Layers to 12 Layers and you will be thrilled to see that not even a single stitch will be missed! This machine can uncomplicatedly sew up to 12 Layers of denim ! You can also stitch 12 Layers of Soft Denim (12oz) or 9 Layers of Soft Denim (14oz) or 9 Layers of Hard Denim (12oz) smoothly and effortlessly through TOYOTA Super Jeans J34 Sewing Machine
Equipped with 34 Built-In Stitches that comprise of Utility Stitches, Stretch Stitches, Blind Hem Stitches, Decorative Stitches, Applique Stitches, Overlock Stitches, a 4-Way Smocking Stitch, a Triple Reinforced Straight Stitch, a Triple Reinforced Zig Zag Stitch and a 4-Step Buttonhole Stitch. The advantageous stitch panel on the front of Toyota J34 depicts all the stitches along with their corresponding stitch letter or number; thus facilitating stitch selection!
Automatic Needle Threader
The Super Jeans J34 also serves you with an Automatic Needle Threader to hinder eye strain and frustration while threading eye of the needle! With the simple turn of a dial you can adjust the pressure of a presser foot in an unchallenging way. No pre-set pressures means you can fine tune your presser foot pressure with the maximum accuracy. The J34 is furnished with a Free Arm for sewing pants legs, cuffs or collars and a Drop Feed function for Darning, Stippling, Attaching Buttons or other Free Motion activities.
Comes with a wide variety of Accessories such as – a Gliding Foot, a Zipper Foot, an Overcasting Foot, a Zigzag Foot, a Blind Hem Foot, a Buttonhole Foot, a Quick Advisor Guide, 3 Packs of Needles, a Quilt Guide, a Spool Cap, a Felt, a Flat Screwdriver, Bobbins, a Spool Pin, a Soft Cover, a Seam Ripper, a Foot Control, an Instruction Book and most importantly a Warranty Card
- Super easy to use
- Powerful for wide range of applications
- Solid and well made
- Can sew through thick layers
- Contains an indecent bulb instead of LED light
- A little difficult to control sewing speed with foot pedal
SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
This SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine serves you best with its 11 Built-in Stitches that comprise of 6 Basic Stitches, 4 Decorative Stitches and 1 Built-in Buttonhole—an exemplary machine for crafts, home decor, fashion sewing and much more.
The needle can be adjusted to any of the three provided positions to sew zippers or to give a decorative touch to a project through topstitching and cording.
It is manufactured with heavy-duty metal frame that gives stability and adds durability to machine. Equipped with a powerful motor it sews items in bulk quickly and efficiently at a speed of 1,100 stitches per minute.
By adjusting pressure of presser foot you can easily sew very lightweight and heavy weight fabrics.
The SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 Sewing Machine is an original workhorse. With the help of heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedplate, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, it can stitch maximum variety of fabrics.
WARRANTY: SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 Sewing Machine comes with 25 Year Limited Warranty.
- Very sturdy and durable
- Easy to carry as it contains a handle
- Power cord is long
- Pedal is sensitive and works well
- Inconvenient sideways thread holder
Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine
It is a value-packed machine which is ideal to sew wide variety of stitching and quilting projects in a versatile manner. Accessories can be easily stored inside a section on the arm of the sewing machine
LCD display also depicts some settings which help you in the stitch selection and provide you with the guidance related to adjustment of stich length and width.
This sewing machine is equipped with a stop/start button that enables its user to operate without using included foot control. Also serves you best with its variable speed control for convenient adjustment of your sewing speed
Also includes Jam-resistant Quick-set top drop-in bobbin that makes setting and approaching your bobbin thread an easy task. Discourages any sort of fishing for your bobbin thread. Accessories are stored in a compartment on the arm of the sewing machine.
Comes with a Bilingual user manual and 25-year limited warranty along with free phone support for the maintenance of the product. We do not suggest you to use this machine in countries that do not support 120V AC even if a voltage adapter is attached.
- Multiple stitches and presser feet
- Feeds a fabric smoothly
- Extreme convenience in making buttonholes
- Threading and winding bobbin are quite easier
- A quiet machine
- Lovely decorative stitches
- Annoyingly lightweight that it creeps while sewing
- Problematic tension but can be managed
Brother ST371HD Strong and Tough Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
It is unquestionably a multi skilled, durable and reliable machine which is designed to manage variations in fabric weights and thicknesses, from numerous layers of weighty apparels and other outdoor projects to lightweight silks.
Heavy duty characteristics include metal needle plate for smoother feeding, heavyweight needles, metal thread hook, spring action zigzag foot for thick seams and nonstick foot for suede and other fabrics
Brother ST371HD Strong and Tough Sewing Machine also contains 37 unique built-in stitches, Metal Needle Plate, Heavyweight Needles and 6 Sewing Feet including blind hem, decorative, zigzag and stretch stitches along with one-step auto-size buttonholer for making flawless buttonholes
Also serve you best with its 6 quick-change sewing feet that comprise of spring action zigzag, nonstick, zipper, blind stitch, buttonhole and button sewing feet. Other features that add convenience in sewing include built-in needle threader, jam-resistant Quick-Set drop-in top bobbin and brightly lit LED work area.
Greatest Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute)-800
- Easy to set
- Quick threading
- Sew heavier fabrics easily
- Pedal is easier to use for control
- Reverse stitch works great
- Gives Uniform and tight stitches
- Substandard light
SINGER 191D-30 Heavy Duty Sewing machine
- it features sewing machine head, motor, and a completely flocked together single-pedal stand
- SINGER 191D-30 Complete Industrial Commercial-Grade Straight-Stitch Sewing Machine serves you best with its Extra-high stitching speed and sews almost six times quicker than a traditional domestic sewing machine thus enabling you to finish your projects speedily.
- Its heavy-duty motor allows you to sew multiple layers of fabric effortlessly and without any complication.
- Hands-free raising and lowering of the presser foot gets encouraged by attached knee lifter.
- It is designed for numerous purposes and is functional for a wide range of straight-stitch sewing applications
- Comes mainly assembled
- A quiet machine
- Can sew several layers of thick fabrics
- Runs uncontrollably fast and needs practice to get adjusted
Benefits of buying Heavy Duty Sewing Machine:
Heavy duty machines are made up of stainless steel and brass instead of plastic which guarantees their durability.
They don’t creep
They do not creep while you sew thus making your task less annoying and enabling you to head towards accomplishment of your project in a smoother way.
Allow you to sew through multiple layers of denim, leather and other thick apparels in an efficient and elegant way so that you can sew blankets and various sorts of purses at your own. Presence of a powerful motor in these sorts of machines helps you to do so.
Heavy duty machines also handle a delicate fabric in a very professional way so you can benefit yourself from the versatility of these machines.
They serve you by giving consistent results with every sort of stitch due to their rigidness and sturdy body.
Minimum Maintenance :
These heavy duty workhorses require minimum maintenance and care as compare to other computerized machines due to absence of electronic mother boards and other electric parts and so can withstand random wear and tear.
Long Term Investment :
They also act as long term investment.
- The price you pay for a heavy duty machine is nothing for the services it offers to you.
- Heavy duty machines allow you to sew your large scale projects at a very faster rate thus skipping lesser number of stitches, as great speed is one of advantageous features of these machines.
Disadvantages of buying heavy duty sewing machine? :
Not Equipped with LED & LCD
Heavy duty machines are not equipped with LED and LCD screens that guide you about the usage of stitches and various other technicalities.
Heavy Duty Sewing Machines Comes at a Price
They are an expensive purchase for beginners as newcomers require extremely simple and basic machines along with automatic functions which are present at lower prices in the market.
Because of their heavy metal components, it is quite difficult to carry these machines from one place to another.
- Heavy duty machines do not include hundreds of stitches.
- Not at all suitable for beginners because they do not serve with automatic functions.
Additional Sites related to the topic.
- The Best Sewing Machines
- Get Best Embroidery Machines
- Best Sewing Machines For Beginners
- Sewing Machine For Kids
Conclusion and Ending on Heavy Duty Sewing Machines in 2020
This comprehensive review focuses on all aspects of information which you may need related to heavy duty sewing machines. All of the reviews are neutral and discussed both positive and negative aspects of the machine.