What is a Long Arm Quilting Machine?
A long arm quilting machine basically comprises of a sewing machine head, fabric rollers, a worktable along with a heavy duty metal frame. These machines are structured to sew three layers together by loading top, batting and back into a metal frame which possesses multiple rolling bars. These bars accommodate layers of quilt while machine head rolls in vertical and horizontal way thereby, enabling it to get quilted as fabric stays in place. Long arm quilting machines are either manual or computerized.
- Manual long arm machines possess handles that facilitates the movement of machine along the fabric and allow you to create customized style.
- A computerized machine easily gets connected to a computer system that permits you to select the design you want to sew. To start sewing process, all you have to do is to press a button; very little help (if any) is required.
Best Long Arm Quilting Sewing Machines Reviewed 2019
Checkout out some of the finest top long arm quilting sewing machines in town.
Juki TL-2010Q 9″ Long-arm Machine, Grace SR-2+ Quilting Frame, SureStitch Regulator, Pattern Templates
- Serves you well with its Juki TL-2010Q 1-Needle and Lockstitch. A Portable Sewing Machine which is equipped with Automatic Thread Trimmer for Quilting, Tailoring, Apparel and Home Décor.
- Facilitates you with SR2 frame which is at the top of the line, and structured to give you an outstanding quilting experience.
- Contains a Sure Stitch which functions as both a stitch regulator and a constant stitch speed control.
- Juki TL-2010Q 9″ Long-arm Machine also includes QuiltCAD, a pattern software that allows you to print custom-sized pantographs, blocks, and borders through your home computer.
- Helps you to make peculiar designs on your quilt. Combine and repeat patterns in creative ways.
- Easily assembled.
- No negative reviews were present.
Juki TL2000QI Long-Arm Sewing & Quilting Machine
- Contains a Foot Controller that also serve you with thread Trimming Function
- Facilitates you with LED Light
- Juki TL2000QI Long-Arm Sewing & Quilting Machine is also equipped with Automatic Thread Trimmer
- Includes an even Feed Foot
- Can conveniently sew Heavy Weight Materials.
- Can easily make a king size quilt
- A sturdy power house
- Super sensitive foot pedal
- Quiet and smooth
- Easy to figure out.
- Not a long arm machine because does not give you much space to work.
Grace Q’nique Long Arm Quilting Machine
- Grace Q’nique Long Arm Quilting Machine is equipped with SR2 Frame and is the most affordable way to attain the Q’nique with a metal frame.
- Great mid arm quilting machine and frame.
- Skips stitches after long use.
Brother Quilting and Sewing Machine, PQ1500SL, High-Speed Quilting and Sewing
- Furnished with a Push-button Auto Thread Trimmers, Auto Needle Positioner & Knee Lever for Presser Foot Lift
- It is an efficient machine and Sews up to 1500 Stitches in a Minute
- Contains a built-In Automatic Needle Threader aswell
- Brother PQ1500SL High Speed Quilting and Sewing Machine includes a retractable Drop Feed Dog Control
- Comes with a 12×18″ Extension Table
- Wide throat space
- Heaviness of machine depicts that it is an industrial machine
- Bobbin fixing is quite easier
- Sturdy machine
- There are small oil holes where you can put drops of oil
- Feed dogs work great for lightweight fabrics
- Strong motor
- Even stitches
- Convenient extension table.
- Light is not bright enough
- Extraordinarily fast.
Tin Lizzie 18 Sit Down Long Arm Quilting Machine
- The size of its Throat Space is 18? x 6?
- Mainly contains a well-designed Table – Standard measurement 30? H x 47? W x 30? D
- Tin Lizzie 18 Sit Down Long Arm Quilting Machine comes with 5 years parts / 1 year labor warranty.
- Features an Auto Needle Positioner as well.
- Includes a Built-In Bobbin Winder w/ Large Bobbin
- Variable speed control
- Real workhorse
- Nice and even stitches
- Easy to thread
- Serve you with wider landscape
- Saves you from dancing back and forth
- Simple mechanics.
- Bit noisier.
Grace Q’nique Long Arm Quilting Machine
- The 14+ inch throat gives you ample space to sew larger patterns and blocks
- Extensive throat space gives you a convenient and less messy work area
- Possesses comfortable Grip Handles
- Grace Q’nique Long Arm Quilting Machine is equipped with Convenient and approachable buttons for complete control of sewing functions
- Every feature has been finely designed and tuned, to create up to 1,800 stitches per minute, so you can accomplish your quilts faster than ever.
- Easy to adjust bobbin and thread tensions
- Stitches very well
- Quilt does not roll on third arm
- Quilt can be turned sideways to do the borders.
- Skips stitches.
Singer Modern Quilter 8500Q Computerized Portable Sewing and Quilting Machine
- Contains 215 built-in stitches comprising basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches that enable you to sew wide variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and much more!
- The SINGER Modern Quilter 8500Q Computerized Sewing Machine is equipped with a knee lifter, 7-segment feeding system with box feed, automatic stitch length & width, electronic twin needle control and programmable needle up/down along with an extension table.
- To wind a bobbin, what you need is just to follow the numbered diagram demonstrated on top of the sewing machine. The bobbin will automatically stop turning when it will be completely filled.
- SINGER MODERN QUILTER 8500Q comes with great range of accessories such as all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot with underplate, blind hem foot, satin stitch foot, button sewing foot, pack of needles, bobbins (class 15j), thread spool caps, thread spool nets, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt, screwdrivers, seam ripper / lint brush, extension table 22.4” length x 14.4” width with circular sewing pin, knee lifter, instruction manual with added stitch guide, quick start guide, power cord and foot controller
- The SINGER MODERN QUILTER 8500Q Sewing Machine comes with 25-year limited warranty having 25 years on head, five years on motor and electronic components, and one year on belts, bulbs, and other attachments.
- This sewing machine is recommended to be used in the US and Canada at 110 volts only.
- Awesome stitch options
- Easy to select
- Rivals many expensive machines
- Strong and sturdy
- Designed to go through thick fabric
- Easy to thread
- Auto cut for the thread works great
- Smooth and quiet
- Has plenty of room to do free motion quilting
- Comes with wide range of feet.
- Not 100% dependable all the time.
How Long arm quilting machines can help you :
People who take sewing as a therapy also consider quilting, the best leisure activity. They feel highly delightful when their free time gets consumed by such a productive activity. So besides this, keeping a long arm quilting machine helps you in many other ways which are as follows:
Making Huge Quilt
You can definitely utilize your home sewing machine for quilting by following the provided quilting route but if you intend to make huge quilt then long arm quilting machine will serve best instead of your conventional piece of equipment.
Time Saving machine :
It is an incredibly time saving machine. You are not supposed to baste your fabric while working on a long arm quilting machine as all three layers get loaded on it. If your home sewing machine does not offer you enough space for basting then why not go for long arm quilting machine to gain ease and convenience.
It is a simple source to add convenience. Presence of a long arm quilting machine at your home will give you a feasible approach to your much needed equipment and will allow you to carry on your quilting at any time that suits you best.
Your created quilt will be highly attributed as solely homemade. With the help of a long arm quilting machine, it becomes possible for you to add more creativity and glamour to your product because it minimizes your chances of handing over your fabric to someone else for making a quilt. The process of making your quilt by yourself gives you more control over every step and your energy and time get invested in a right way.
Long arm quilting machines are quite faster as compared to your conventional sewing machines and allow you to accomplish your projects in minimal time.
Things to Consider Before buying a long arm quilting machine :
Purchasing a long arm quilting machine is absolutely a worthwhile task which requires thorough research. After all you are going to make a bigger investment of your life. Your money as well as your time both are precious to us. So, here you will find quite trustworthy techniques which you need to ponder over before accomplishing your goal.
Try before buy :
As you enter a shop that sells various kinds of sewing machines, must give a try to all long arm quilting machines because practicing and experiencing machine is just matchless to any other technique.
Measure the area of your machine and space
Before you visit the market, measure the area of your house where you plan to keep that machine. It will not be less than a nightmare for you if purchased product does not fit the selected section of your apartment.
Do a lot of research and don’t ignore any aspect of machine before making a final decision.
After Sales Service of Sewing Machine
Try to go for a manufacturer who offers you a warranty and after sale services as well. In case, any of the spare part of your bought long arm quilting machine gets damaged, then an alternative part must be readily available otherwise your purchase will be all in vain.
Guidance from Experienced Sewer
Do not forget to seek guidance from an experienced sewer. It will not only help you to make a reliable choice but will also aid you in making best of your purchase.
Also seek guidance from customers’ reviews online. You will get to know more accurate about the company’s repute, customer service and the quality of machine.
Equipping of Machine
Your chosen machine must be equipped with stitch regulator, sufficient quilting space, hopping foot and large bobbin.
Also check whether your selected item’s frame needs constant adjustment while you roll your quilt or does it sews smoothly at both maximum and minimum speeds.
That long arm quilting machine can allow you to create and customize any design you want which possess the ability to upgrade to new computerized technology. Such type of machine will give you more control, more functions along with maximum quilting options.
Which long arm quilting machine is best?
I have tried to review various with their cons and pros. Everyone has a different need, the above are based on customer reviews, machine specs and other details. However my personal best is PQ1500SL.
What is the average cost of a long arm quilting machine?
These are slightly expensive sewing machines to buy with prices starting from $500 and go as far as $1500. Some are even more expensive to buy.
How much space do you need for a long arm quilting machine?
Since they are big in space, you need to have around at least 80 square feet to work.
Conclusion on Long Arm Quilting Machines in 2019 :
In short, buying and working on a long arm quilting machine needs higher level of expertise and skill. It is not an ordinary task to make quilts on such professional machines instead of those domestic sewing machines rather it needs great patience as well. However, every new invention is just to add convenience and so is the function of this long arm quilting machine.