You know you need a Serger the day you move from beginner-level sewing machines to advanced-level machines.
And in case you’ve been saving up money only to buy a serger, your search ends here. Because Brother’s 1034D is one of the best sergers that you can get your hands on.
It is a serger, but a different type of serger. It is made of heavy-duty metal, it is a powerhouse with a lot of features and everything that you need in your serger.
In case are not a big fan of those small and powerless machines that do not do a lot except remain extremely portable, but you also do not like old-school big and massy machines that take up a lot of space, this is just the kind of serger you need.
Before I get into the nitty gritty of this machine and explain each and everything important about this serger, it is important for you to know my review criteria and framework.
My reviewing criteria is 3-fold. I test most of the items that I review, but in case I cannot test it, I’d always take an expert’s advice on it – an expert who has not only been using these machines, but also knows a lot about them. Lastly, I rely on the reviews given to these products, by their verified customers on Amazon.
As far as framework is concerned – it is also a 3-fold one. I review these machines based on pros and cons, most important features and the answers to the FAQs.
- Heavy-Duty Metal Frame – Brother is known for making high-quality and heavy-duty machines be it sewing machines, embroidery machines or sergers. Their machines neither look cheap or start having problems as soon as some “imported” machines do. This one has a heavy-duty metal frame that keeps the machine’s delicate interior setup intact and protected.
- High Performance – This is no portable-so-looks-cute-but-works-okayish kinda serger. This is a 3 to 4 thread serger, with optimum power and which is made to easily handle complicated and tough overlocking/serging tasks like handling multiple layers of thick fabrics like leather and denim etc. Focus is on a) thick fabrics, and those too while you b) overlock multiple layers of them.
- 1,300 Stitches/Minute Speed – Speaking of how high-performer and powerful this machine is, one must mention that the stitching speed that you’d enjoy with this serger is 1,300 stitches/minute maximum. A normal professional sewing machine or serger has 850+ stitches/minute speed. This means, that this serger is sort of overpowered for any kind of fabric/any amount of layers that you wanna serge.
- Ease of Use – This is one of the easiest to use sergers. It has a more vertical and less horizontal body so you can easily control everything and so it doesn’t take up too much space on your table. Also, this thing is super easy to thread. There are 4 color-coded upper thread guide and lower looper system that along with a clear and easy to understand manual, make this machine super easy to use.
- Adjustable Width – The stitch that you’re gonna make can be adjusted in terms of width. The maximum adjustable width from left needle is 5mm to 7mm which is exactly what you expect from a professional sewing or serger machine.
- Many Stitch Options – With this machine you can play like a pro because there are all the options that you need. For example, you can select from 4 thread overlock, 3 thread overlock, rolled hem, narrow one, ribbon and lock stitches etc.
- Free Arm – The machine has a free arm; just remove the little part next to the needle plate and this would turn that end of your machine into a free arm. This means you can now easily work on difficult parts of the project such as collars, cuffs and hems etc.
- Differential Fabric Feed – The differential fabric feed is a very important feature and it only comes with advanced sergers – the professional ones. This feed controls both the rear and front feed dogs and helps you with removing the rippling while serging elastic fabrics such as spandex.
- Compatible with Standard Needles – While this is a professional serger, you do not have to buy a whole new set of needles for it. Doesn’t matter whether you use Brother/commonly known as compatible with Brother machines kind of needles or you have some other home sewing machine needles, this serger will work with any standard needles that you have.
- Adjustable Knife Feature – A serger’s knife is used to trim the edges before ever you stitch that part of a fabric. This serger allows you to adjust the knife on or off by a swift movement of the lever.
- Adjustable Foot Pressure – When you sew and when you serge, you have to work on different types of fabrics. There are lightweight ones and then the thick ones. This machine has an adjustable foot pressure that you can adjust as per the fabric.
- Well-Lit Workspace – There is a bright LED light right on top of the needle plate that keeps your workspace well-lit.
- Accessories – There are a few free accessories that you get when you buy Brother 1034D serger. You get multi-purpose guide foot, gathering foot, foot controller, needle set, spool nets, tweezers, trim trap, hexl wrench, cleaning brush and soft cover etc.
- 1300 Stitches/Minute
- Free Arm
- Adjustable Foot Pressure
- Differential Fabric Feed
- Components’ Quality Needs Improvement
- High Vibration
FAQs on Brother 1034D
Here are all the frequently asked questions about this machine and the answers to those questions.
Is this machine only for advanced users or beginners can also serge on this?
This serger is definitely not as simple as a sewing machine, because a serger is used for different type of purposes, but it is simpler and easier to use when compared with many other sergers from Brother as well as other brands.
Can I use this as a sewing machine?
A serger is similar to a sewing machine in so many different ways, but it is not a sewing machine. In case you want a two-in-one kinda thing, do know that there doesn’t exist something that is a heavy-duty serger and sewing machine at the same time.
What feet are included?
There are quite a few feet that you get with this surger. You get multi-purpose guide foot and gathering foot etc.
Would this work for rolled hems?
In case of rolled hems particularly, this serger works like a charm. Chiffon, cotton or any such material that you need to use, this serger will work flawlessly.
How easy it is to adjust the thread tension?
You can change the tension from project to project; there will not be any problem with adjusting the tension over and over again.
In case you’re looking for a solid and heavy-duty, professional kind of surger, this is the surger to go for. It has speed, it has a powerful and solid machine, it has many options and it is simply one of the best.