If you’ve been sewing on low to mid-tier sewing machines for a very long time, I bet that you must now feed the need to pivot from such a machine to an advanced level one.
There is nothing wrong with mid-tier machines; at least they are more functional and advanced than the whole class of “portable sewing machines”, but when you dive deeper and deeper into the interesting world of professional or hobby sewing, you eventually feed the need for a machine that brings new capabilities, features and functions to your table.
I cannot say for sure if Brother’s CS5055PRW is just the advanced sewing machine that you’re looking for, but I can tell you for sure that this can be among a few of them.
This machine comes with a host of amazing features and big number of stitches and accessories and options and everything … that you cannot find in every other sewing machine with the similar price tag.
Brother CS5055PRW Review
Here’s a thing or two about how I review and what the backstage process looks like.
I have been using, testing and owning a few sewing machines from time to time, but of course I cannot test just every sewing machine worth mentioning. For a review of a machine like that, I consult with experts and I also consider reviews given to that product from its verified customers on Amazon.
Likewise, the review is done in a 3-fold way. I shed light on the most important features, discuss the pros and cons and then answer the most frequently asked questions about that product.
- 50 Built-in Stitches – This machine has 50 built-in stitches and I know that there are other sewing machines, from Brother itself and Singer, that have as many as 500+ built-in stitches, but a) not everyone needs that big a stitch inventory, and b) you have to see it on a price tag to price tag basis. These 50 stitches include straight stitches as well as design ones. And yes, there are 5 auto-size one-step buttonhole styles too.
- Automatic Needle Threader – This machine comes with all those modern-but-now-commonly-found features that made a seamster or seamstress’s life easier. An automatic needle threader is nothing new, but it sure takes away the pain of manually threading the needle.
- Drop-in Top Bobbin – Another such pain or two are taken away with a drop-in top bobbin. First of all, due to the transparent case of this type of bobbin, you can always see when it is about to run short of the thread and secondly, this kind of bobbin is known for assuring a jam-proof and a very smooth sewing experience.
- LCD Screen – There is an LCD screen on this sewing machine from where you can see the selections you make – including stitches. It is small and it is not a backlit one, but hey, it’s better to have one while many other sewing machines don’t have any such displays at all.
- Reverse Sewing – With the push of a button right in front of you – a little to the left side of this machine – you can easily switch from straight to reverse sewing. It’s bad that some machines do not have this feature, which is very basic, but very important too. Reverse seams are used to strengthen and lock the simple seams.
- Free-motion Sewing – Availability or lack of free-motion sewing is sort of a test to see if your sewing machine is an advanced one or not. This machine has free-motion sewing. This feature allows you to relax, totally control the sewing by going in any direction that you like and work on difficult projects.
- Free Arm – This machine also has a free arm; just remove the accessory box next to the needle plate and you’d turn that part of the machine into a free arm. Free arms are very useful you when have to control a big piece of cloth or sew cuffs, collars and hems etc.
- Lightweight and Portable – This is a very lightweight and portable machine – without any expense to functionality. The weight is only 14.75lbs so you can take it anywhere with you and the dimensions are only 19.48” x 10.75” x 15.96” which help you store it anywhere.
- Convenient Stitch Chart – There is a stitch chart to the right side of the machine; you can take a look at the stitch styles, see the number associated to each of them and just pick the number using the LCD display and navigational buttons. It’s that simple.
- Vertical Spool Pin – Just like bobbins, it changes a lot how your spool is placed and positioned. It can make sewing super cool or super difficult. A vertical spool pin is preferred because it allows easier and more movement from the spool. However you have to control that with thread tension tweaks.
- LED-Lit Workspace – This sewing machine has an LED bulb right on the top of needle plate. This means that you can sew without harming your eyes.
- Easy Bobbin Winding – Just like the needle threader, this machine has an easy bobbin winding system too. Once the bobbin is set on winder and the upper thread is in place, just push it once and it will wind easily.
- 50 Stitches
- Free Motion Sewing
- Free Arm
- Easy Bobbin Winding
- Very Small and Colorless Screen
- Spool is Not Easy to Reach
Here are the most frequently asked questions about this machine and the answers to them.
Which accessories are included?
This machine comes with Brother’s standard pack of accessories, which include 7 sewing feet, assorted needles set, twin needle, a jam-resistant bobbin set, screwdriver, extra spool pin, seam ripper and foot control pedal etc.
Would this be a good machine for a beginner?
Yes this is a great sewing machine for beginners. One of the biggest qualities of this machine is that it is very easy to use, although it is a sort of advanced sewing machine when you categorize them.
Can it sew denim or velvet?
This machine is not usually used for very thick fabrics or layers thereof, but yes you can sew denim or velvet or even leather. All you have to do is use the correct type of needle because velvet is softer and thinner than denim and leather is thicker and harder than that.
So, should you buy this sewing machine or not? Well, this totally depends on your particular sewing needs and most importantly on your budget. You can spend a little more money and get Brother CS6000i which is THE advanced-level sewing machine, but it all depends on what you need to be done that you need a sewing machine for.