When it comes to old-school, old-fashioned, solid and heavy-duty sewing machines, there are two brand names that pop up in everyone’s mind: Singer and Brother.
Each and everyone of us has seen an old-fashioned and heavy-duty Singer or Brother at home – doesn’t matter whether it belonged to mother or grandmother.
However, time has changed a lot; just like computers, powerful and yet portable sewing machines are possible. There are potent sewing machines in small and lightweight bodies that you can take anywhere with you.
Table of Contents
Singer Curvy 8763
In case a portable but powerful Singer sewing machine is what you’re looking for, Curvy 8763 might be the best machine to buy for beginners. However, I’d like to remind you that there is no such thing as equally powerful and portable. Portability always comes at expense to power and functionality.
It’s just this machine performs way better than many portable sewing machines. It does so while being as powerful as possible.
Before I get into the nitty gritty of this sewing machine, it is important for you to understand my review criteria and how I review products.
So, definitely, there are only so many sewing machines that I can test and/or own, this is why for the machines that I have never laid my hands on, I trust on experts’ opinions – you know, the people who have been into manufacturing and testing such machines. Lastly, I rely on the reviews given to such machines by their verified customers on Amazon and other forums.
Likewise, the reviewing framework is pretty simple; I review these machines based on their most important features, their pros and cons and the answers to the most frequently asked questions about these machines.
- 30 Built-in Stitches – So, unlike some big sewing + quilting machines (yes, this one can also quilt), this one is not devoid of built-in stitches because let us admit that all of us love decorative stitches and more and more buttonhole designs. This one has 30 built-in stitch styles including 6 basic stitches, 5 stretch stitches, 17 decorative stitches and 2 buttonhole designs. Luckily, this machine allows one-step automatic buttonholes.
- 750 Stitches/Minute – When it comes to speed, this machine is definitely not as powerful as a professional sewing + quilting machine should be. It has 750 stitches/minute maximum sewing speed. A professional sewing machine should have roughly 850+ stitches/minute sewing speed. I’d say it’s slightly lacklustre here.
- Automatic Needle Threader – Just like all modern-day sewing machines, this one also has this feature; you can use the automatic needle threader to effortlessly push the thread through the needle hole.
- Top Drop-in Bobbin – When it comes to this or that sewing machine, there are so proprietary “systems” that make things confusing. Same is the case with drop and sew bobbin system; that is just another name from top drop-in bobbin. This machine has a top drop-in bobbin system. This type of bobbin is considered good because it is jam-proof and thus it provides a smoother sewing experience. Also, the case as well as the bobbin are transparent, so you get to see when the bobbin runs short of the thread.
- Automatic Bobbin Winding – Gone are the days when tasks like needle threading, thread cutting and bobbin winding had to be done manually. This machine has a bobbin winding clutch with which you can wind the bobbin automatically every time it runs short of thread.
- Automatic Thread Tension – While using this machine, you can fearlessly use this or that stitch or style, without having to worry about the thread tension. This machine is a computerized one so it automatically adjusts the tension as per the project and fabric etc.
- SwiftSmart Threading System – Again – proprietary names. It’s just Singer’s very own way of threading the needle in an almost automatic way.
- Adjustable Width and Length – The good thing is that this machine lets you adjust the thread width and length manually. Although length and width are selected automatically when you select a particular stitch, you can still choose them manually. Maximum possible length and width are 7mm.
- Twin Needle Capability – This sewing machine has some advanced features that other sewing machines – especially most of the portable ones – do not have. For example, you can use twin needle. This feature helps you create parallel and/or decorative stitches on a fabric.
- Free Arm – There is an accessory box right next to the needle plate. You can remove that anytime to make use of the free arm feature. Free arm means a relatively thin and free of obstruction left part of the machine that makes it easy for you to control the fabric and sew cuffs, collars and hems etc.
- 3 LED Lights – Although this is a small machine, it has 3 LED bulbs – each of whom will last for roughly 100,000 hours. This is enough power to keep your workspace illuminated.
- Extra-High Presser Foot Lifter – This thing is perfect for quilting as well as sewing – doesn’t matter if you have to work on layers of different fabrics. Although thicker and heavier ones should be avoided (like leather), you can use the extra-high lifter to lift the presser foot a few more notches to accommodate a thicker fabric or more than one layer.
- Snap on Presser Feet – The presser feet that you get with this machine (take a look at accessories) are all snap on; they take no time to be ready to be used.
- 13 Needle Positions – There are as many as 13 needle positions. This is almost insane. This means you can use this machine freely and choose from 13 different places to place your needle.
- Six Segment Feed Dog – Another thing that gives you more freedom and more control is the six segment or six-piece feed dog. Normally, sewing machines come with 4-piece feed dogs and only big and advanced ones come with 6 or 7-piece feed dogs, but this small machine has a 6-piece one which means better control on the fabric.
- Automatic Reverse Sewing – Use automatic reverse sewing option to apply reverse stitches – which reinforce all other types of seams.
- Highly Portable – This machine is highly portable with only 17lbs weight and 17” x 8” x 12.5” size.
- Accessories – You get a standard set of accessories with this sewing machine. The accessories include assorted needles, set of bobbins, all-purpose foot, zipper foot, blind hem foot, buttonhole foot, satin stitch foot, auxiliary spool pin, thread spool caps, pin felt, darning plate, seam ripper, screwdriver, foot pedal and power cord, and a soft cover.
- 6-Piece Feed
- 13 Needle Positions
- 3 LED Lights
- 30 Built-in Stitches
- Comparatively Underpowered
- Inconsistent Stitches
Here are the answers to the FAQs.
Does it come with a case?
This is not a big and heavy machine, so there is no hard case that you can get with this machine. However, this machine comes with a soft dust cover.
Can I do free motion quilting with it?
Yes. Although this is a little tricky. The free motion quilting foot does not come with the machine so you may have to buy that separately. Also, you have to tweak with certain settings, but yes, it is possible.
How to turn it into a free arm?
There is an accessory box to the front and it comes next to the needle plate. Just remove that part and you will be able to enjoy the free arm functionality.
Singer Curvy 8763 is not for you if you are into heavy-duty sewing or quilting with materials like leather and denim etc., because it does not have that kind of motor or speed. However, if you’re a beginner or your sewing and quilting affairs only include lightweight fabrics, you must get your hands on this machine.