What if you want a heavy-duty sewing machine without having to compromise on the number of built-in stitches – what if one straight stitch is not enough for you?
What if there is a class of heavy-duty and fully professional sewing machines that do not take back an important feature or two every time they promise a new feature to you?
Singer Heavy Duty 4452
Heavy duty metal body that will not let its complex contents get damaged, decent number of built-in stitches, it’s not computerized, but it has big dials and ease of use features that won’t let you feel the need for a computerized machine.
Before I dive deeper into the features and pros and cons of this product, let us talk a little about how I review these products.
I have owned, tested or checked many of these machines at one or another time in my life, but definitely I cannot test them all.
This is where expert opinion comes into the play. I talk to sewing machine testing and manufacturing experts and get their opinion.
Lastly, I go through a lot of data on Amazon and my review relies on the reviews given to these products by their verified customers on Amazon.
The review is 3-fold: features, pros and cons, and the answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- 32 Built-in Stitches – First of all, this machine has 32 built-in stitches. When you compare it with machines like Brother PQ1500SL that has only one stitch and that too is a straight stitch you can see that this machine is far better – by leaps and bounds. There are 6 basic stitches, 7 stretch stitches, 18 decorative ones and 1 fully automatic 1-step buttonhole. To select a stitch, you have to use the lower dial and then you can use other dials and knobs to refine your choice and define the kind of stitch you want to go with.
- 110 Stitch Applications – Now this is tricky. Stitch applications are not to be confused with built-in stitches. In simple words, stitch applications are different sewing techniques and styles that you can make use of with combining built-in stitches and other options that are made available by this machine.
- 1,100 Stitches/minute Speed – This machine has a 1,100 stitches/minute maximum speed which makes it ideal for thicker and heavier fabrics too. And we are not only talking about the fabrics; we are also talking about the layers. Any sewing machine with maximum stitching speed of 850+ stitches/minute is considered professional. This means that with this one you can fearlessly sew on all sorts of fabrics including leather, denim and canvas etc.
- Heavy Duty Metal Frame – What makes this sewing machine look more like old-school and heavy-duty is its metal frame. Unlike modern sewing machines (even though it is one), made by big companies including Singer itself, this machine is not made of a plastic body. A metal frame protects the sensitive inside components in the event of some sort of accident.
- Reverse Sewing – There is the reverse sewing slider right in front of the machine, more to the left side; you can use it to switch from straight stitching mode to reverse stitching one. Reverse stitching is used to reinforce the seams and strengthen them.
- Adjustable Width and Length – The length and width of the stitch – each and every stitch that you pick – can be adjusted by using the top dial. Just rotate the dial to adjust its width or length. While the width can be adjusted to a maximum of 6mm, the length’s total limit is 4mm.
- Drop Feed – This machine uses drop feed to extend your capabilities and to provide you better control on the fabric. You can engage or disengage the feed dogs at your will. This means more control and more manipulation of the fabric as well as your sewing experience.
- Automatic Needle Threader – That’s pretty basic stuff, but very useful too. You do not want to manually thread your needles anymore. Those times are gone. Take this machine with automatic needle threader that will push the thread through the needle hole without any hassle.
- Top Drop-in Bobbin – This one also comes with a top drop-in bobbin. The bobbin’s cover is transparent, which is just another pro because you can see when the bobbin is about to run short of thread. However, the real reason why a drop-in bobbin is preferred is because it is a jam-proof bobbin and because it assures smooth performance.
- LED Light – This machine has LED lighting right on top of the sewing area to make your workspace bright enough for you.
- Adjustable Presser Foot – The presser foot’s pressure can be adjusted to work with a thick fabric or for a small one. It is about both: height adjustment and pressure, because for thick fabrics, there will be required more height and more pressure, while delicate ones need less height and very less pressure.
- Accessories – This sewing machine comes with a lot of accessories just like many other Brother and Singer machines do. At least you would not have to buy anything aftermarket to use your machine. The accessories include walking foot for layers of fabric, non-stich foot for leather and similar materials, a set of assorted needles, a set of bobbins, all-purpose foot, zipper foot, button sewing foot, buttonhole foot, seam ripper, quilting guide, auxiliary spool pin, pin felt, screwdriver and a soft cover for protection from dust.
- 1,100 Stitches/minute Speed
- 32 Built-in Stitches
- Adjustable Width & Length
- Adjustable Presser Foot
- Needles Break at Top Speed
Here are the most frequently asked questions about this machine and the answers to those questions.
Will it sew leather?
Yes. This machine is made for domestic use mostly, but because of its powerful motor (1,100 stitches/minute maximum speed) you can easily sew leather. You can also do two layers of roughly 4 to 5oz, but this is it.
What type of needles are needed for this machine?
You can use standard needles on this machine. For regular type of projects, you can try size 12 or 14 needles from Singer brand. However, you do not have to buy Singer needles. Same size needles from any brand would do. For denim, buy special needles made for heavy stuff.
Is this suitable for beginners?
This machine is made for domestic use so the makers know that most of the users won’t be professional seamsters or seamstresses. The pedal has variable speed for those who are afraid of this machine’s maximum speed and it is a 100% beginners-friendly sewing machine.
Can you use a walking foot with this machine?
Yes. You can buy a new walking foot too; although the machine comes with a lot of accessories, including a walking foot and that works like a charm.
What is the maximum thickness that this machine’s presser foot can take?
The maximum this machine’s presser foot can take is ¼” and that is it. This means you cannot sew a fabric or layers thicker than this. The presser foot would not accommodate that.
How large is the harp?
4.5” is the height of the harp.
Singer’s 4452 is one of the best sewing machines made for domestic use. It is so good that people use it for professional purposes too. It has power, speed, amazing features and a metal frame. Yet it is very user-friendly and it is made to set beginners at ease.